Jim Beam Devil's Cut

If you read this blog frequently you may have picked up on the fact that I'm a bit of a traditionalist. I'm usually not a fan of new or modern techniques when it comes to making whiskey. If it ain't broke don't fix it right? Well Jim Beam is introducing a new product that I might be a little more friendly too, but I'll have to taste some before I give my final approval.

The new 90-proof Beam product is called Devil's Cut (the opposite of Angel's Share), and it is essentially the bourbon that's left soaked into the barrel after the barrel is emptied. They've come up with a way to extract this extremely-woody bourbon and bottle it for our drinking pleasure. Although I'd like to have a taste of the straight 'devil's cut' right from the wood, the commercial product is mixed with regular Jim Beam in unspecified proportions. I'm sure it's an interesting twist on the world's best-selling bourbon, and I look forward to giving it a try. In the meantime you can read a review of it from Cigar Aficionado here.

0 comments: